What is corporate social investment?
Corporate social investment plays a key role in how business contributes to doing good in society. It’s also part of a much larger effort to encourage responsible business: a holistic view of business, its role in society, and the positive contribution it can make.
In this course, we’ll start with the basics of what CSI is and why it’s important. We’ll zoom out layer by layer to explore the role of business in contributing positively to society and discuss shared value. Finally, we’ll look at the various concepts that make up responsible business.
There is a short quiz after each module to test your knowledge and help you remember concepts.
The course introduces you to these key concepts so that you can understand some of the ways business creates solutions to social challenges. If you’re part of an organisation, it will help you identify key points to include in your own CSI or responsible business efforts, and to assess where you are in relation to trends in CSI in South Africa and globally.
Equipping yourself with relevant terms and concepts, understanding the context and history, and knowing trends and lead practices will give you a deeper knowledge of what CSI is, and the depth of its potential.
How to make the most of this course
A self-paced online course has many advantages. It offers flexibility so you can learn when and where it suits you best. But it can also be more challenging to keep motivated. These principles will help you through.
- Use the course with best intentions: for learning and equipping yourself with skills.
- Be patient when there are technical difficulties and with the people working to solve them.
- Read all the material, watch the videos, listen to the audio and explore the links and then answer the questions at the end of each module.
- Once you have completed the course, schedule time with relevant team members to share or apply what you’ve learnt.
Tips for online learning
- Schedule: Doing the course in a single day can cause an information overload. Work with your schedule and set time aside each day to make progress on the course. This may be 15 minutes before work, during a break, or before you close your computer for the day. Some prefer to set daily reminders on their phone or computer. You may choose to complete the course in larger chunks, such as a module or two per day.
- Make notes: Keep a notebook or online document and make notes throughout the course. This will help keep you engaged, help you to remember what you’ve learnt, and will act as a reference point once you’ve completed the course.
- Share insights: When you have an insight or idea, share this with colleagues, friends, or on social media. This can help generate discussion and deeper thinking.
- Stay motivated: Reward yourself for milestones such as completing a module.
If you would recommend the course to others, please share it with your networks and social media.
Thank you, and enjoy the course!